Did you know that April 4th is the World Stray Animal Day to draw attention to the 600.000.000 stray animals worldwide?
This special day was started in 2010 when one hundred Dutch stray animal organizations got together for the first time ever at the first Dutch National Stray Animals Conference. It was the brainchild of a Dutch marketing guru that a special day be held for stray animals worldwide.
We are now wondering why April 4th was chosen and it is for three reasons:
- It is exactly half of year after October 4th which is World Animal Day
- 4/4 is easy to remember.
- There are no other special holidays or celebration days and therefore people have more time and energy to organize events.
Then we are all thinking – well what can we do to celebrate? There is now a Stray Animals Day website http://www.worldstrayanimalsday.org which gives loads of ideas on how YOU can help:-
If you’re an individual:
- adopt a stray dog or cat
- ask your local animal shelter how you can help
- share the cause of 4/4 Stray Animals Day with everybody you know
If you’re a stray animals organization:
- organize a pack dog walk
- organize a lottery for your cause
- hold a stray adoption day
- hand a petition to the community council
- hang 4/4 posters all around your city
- organize a free spay and neuter day
- get your shelter on local TV or in the newspaper
- collect stuff to support a shelter
- organize a demonstration, fair, or market
- see what others are doing on FB pages
It is up to each of us, either as an organization or an individual to help to draw attention to this cause. Last year in 125 countries around the world, over 2,000 people joined the cause!
This year Cesar Millan, the Mexican Dog Whisperer, is the Ambassador for World Stray Animals Day. Cesar has a true gift with animals and is incredibly compassionate to strays especially after being brought up in Mexico. He has made an excellent video drawing attention to this cause which can be viewed on this link from the World Stray Animals Day website.
LET’S ALL JOIN TOGETHER ON THIS IS A DAY FOR COMPASSION, CARE AND ACTION FOR STRAY ANIMALS WORLDWIDE.