In November of last year, 2010, Victor Barros (Aanifeira’s President) and I attended the The International Companion Animal Welfare Conference (ICAWC) in Prague. We found the conference hugely beneficial for Aanifeira in gaining ideas and learning new techniques as well as making contacts and meeting with other people around the world all working towards the same cause.
The ICAWC was developed by its organiser (Dogs Trust, UK) with the belief in working towards a world where no healthy companion animal is destroyed for want of a caring home with responsible owners which is exactly the goal that Aanifeira is working towards.
The conference covers a wide variety of subjects which include:-
- Elevating the level of care for companion animals
- Promoting positive animal welfare legislation
- Developing and promoting educational programmes to encourage better understanding, appreciation and care of companion animals
- Assisting animal welfare organisations in strengthening their projects
- Providing a platform for the interchange of ideas that impact on companion animals
- Through “Strength in Numbers” making the world a better place for companion animals
The International Animal Welfare Conference ICAWC this year is being held in Riga, Latvia from 18 – 20 October and we highly recommend it for a learning experience for people running animal rescue shelters. We hope to attend again this year so may see familiar faces again!